Amazing Bee Facts: 10 Fascinating Facts about Honey Bee!
Honey bee facts: We know that honey bee is very much beneficial than any other insect. Because they help the pollination of our fruits and crop. It’s only the insects capable to produce honey. We are aware of these things. But there are several interesting things we don’t know.
Find here 10 amazing facts that you never knew. I also published a video on my Youtube channel to make it amazing. Because most of us prefer to watch the video than to read articles.
Most people know about the honeymoon, but don’t know where this term came from. The male bee or drone can mate with Queen only one time in his entire life and loss his genital forever.
To learn more about this fact, find here: A Male Bee or Drone Can Mate with the Queen Only One Time in Entire Life! What Happens to Your Body When You Start Eating Honey Every Day? These are the few things I mentioned here. From the Video, you’ll learn about the 10 fascinating facts that you never knew before today. Some of these facts will touch your heart and remain in your memory for a long time.
What are the facts about the honey bee?
01. The history of the honey bee is millions of years. Find here the history of beekeeping.
02. It’s only the insect capable to produce honey.
03. It has 170 aroma receptors. This figure is far more than similar insects and even humans.
04. It can fly 15 miles per hour. And able to move around the earth with just one spoon of honey as fuel.
05. The usual life span of the worker bee is 6 weeks and the Queen bee is up to 5 years.
06. The male bee is known as Drone and exists in the hive only to mate with the queen. He will lose his genital organ after mating only one time.
07. Dance is the only medium to express themselves. When they find some sources of food anywhere, inform the others with dance and indicate the distance and angle of location.
08. They are very organized and like to live colonial life. Unity is a great example of their lifestyle.
09. Prior to the 1660s Queen’s ovary was not discovered and assumed as King bee.
10. A newlywed couple was supposed to consume a cup of mead each day for a moon month in northern Europe. Mead is a special type of alcoholic beverage made with honey. Honeymoon came from there.
The physiological and actual age of worker bees
The worker bees show evidence of distinct division of labor based primarily on their physiological age. But modify somewhat if needs for the colony. During the active season, while the colony is raising brood and storing food, the physiological age of worker bees is similar to the actual age.
But in winter they become younger. During the dearth periods of winter, a 60-day old bee becomes younger physiologically than a 20-day old bee in summer. Learn more: Bee Facts For Kids – Animals, Insects, Bees to see bee pictures and short stories especially designed for your kids.
Sources of information:
American Honey Producers Association,
American Bee Journal,
Experience of my own beekeeping project